I’m not going to give a day-by-day breakdown this time because I did not keep up with it this week. We were just too busy!
I can honestly say that this week has not been the most frugal. Between needing to buy the necessary materials to get the lawnmower ready, buying the necessary items to clean the main coop, buying the chicks, all the chicken feed, etc. it’s been a pretty spendy week. But, it’s nice to know that we can do so much ourselves.
By doing the necessary lawnmower repairs & fluid changes ourselves, it not only saves us money now, but it saves us money in the long run by keeping the mower in good condition.
I’m praying that the dozen chicks we bought will yield several pullets, which in turns means more layers & more eggs!
By cleaning the coop, it helps to ensure healthy, happy chickens!
I was given 4 roosters that were a little over a year old. We brought them home Tuesday evening & then took them out on Wednesday. These were free food for my family. I chose to can these up & make stock with them. For the stock, I used veggie peels/scraps that I had saved in the freezer to add more flavor to stock.
While I had my canner out, I also canned up an assortment of dried beans! I haven’t done this in quite some time, so it will be nice to have these on hand when I need to fix a quick dinner. I’d like to do some more in the future as time allows.
This week, I ended up canning:
7 quarts chicken from the 4 chickens
26 quarts of beans
2 pints of chicken that I removed from the bones I used for chicken stock
12 quarts chicken stock
I still need to make beef stock, but it’ll have to wait until I have an open day – probably another weekend!