Well, I’m late getting this post up today, but I wanted to get it up any way. We usually don’t do a whole lot for Valentine’s Day because we believe that we need to try to show our love for each other every day of the year not just one day. But, we do try to do a little something for each other and the kids. This year, I made them each (Brian & the kids) a dozen homemade heart-shaped big peanut butter cups. Brian bought me 2 bags of Lindor Truffles which are some of my favorite chocolates!
So, I thought I would share my recipe with you all and how I made them. Since it’s too late to give you an idea for this year’s Valentine’s Day, hopefully you can plan ahead for next year – or maybe for your anniversary!
Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
|2 cups milk chocolate chips
2 Tbs shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. Place chocolate chips and shortening in a pot and melt on low heat, stirring occasionally. I used my Wilton Candy Maker Deluxe pots that I had gotten at Hobby Lobby a while back using 40% off coupons!
2. While you’re melting the chocolate, place peanut butter and butter in a pot over medium heat until melted, stirring occasionally. When completely melted, add powdered sugar and stir until combined. Continue heating until sugar is well combined. Remove from heat and let cool until you can safely handle it. But don’t let it get too cool or it will be too thick use scoop out.
3. I use silicone cupcake liners (paper liners work but I like that fact that I don’t have to use cupcake pans for these).
Place a spoonful of chocolate in liner and, using a brush, paint the sides with the chocolate.
4. Place on cookie sheet (I used a cutting board) and place in freezer for about 5 minutes or chocolate is set.
5. Using a scoop/spoon, scoop peanut butter mixture into cups, leaving enough room to pour chocolate on top.
6. Pour enough chocolate on top of peanut butter mixture to cover but don’t put too much or it will run over the sides of the cup. (Sorry – forgot to take this pic. ) Return to freezer for about 30 minutes.
7. Remove from molds.
8. Place them in a nice tin and give them to your sweetheart for him/her to enjoy!
Store in a cool, dry place or place in fridge if keeping longer than a few days.
**Note: If using white chocolate, you may need to add an extra 1 to 2 Tbs of shortening to get desired consistency, depending on the quality of the chocolate. You want a nice, smooth consistency. **
I hope you enjoy these as much as we do. Happy Valentine’s Day!!