I have not tried this recipe yet, but I’m making it today as a birthday cake for my mother-in-law, so I’ll let you know how it turns out. It sounds really yummy! I’ll try to remember to take pictures, too.
Diabetic Chocolate Angel Food Cake
2/3 cup sifted cake flour, not self-rising
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
12 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1. Heat oven to 375* F. Sift flour, cocoa and 3/4 cup granulated sugar together 3 times; set aside.
2. Beat egg whites at low speed in a large mixer bowl until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt. Gradually increase speed to medium while beating in remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, 5 minutes. When sugar is incorporated, continue beating to stiff peaks, 2 minutes more.
3. Sift 1/3 of dry ingredients over whites; gently fold in with rubber spatula. Repeat process 2 more times.
4. Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Cut through batter to remove air pockets. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until top springs back when gently pressed. Invert and hang pan on neck of bottle to cool.
5. To unmold, run a thin knife around side of pan and tube; invert pan. Turn cake upright onto serving plate. Garnish with confectioner’s sugar, if desired.
Per Serving Daily Goal Calories 120 2,000 (F), 2,500 (M) Total Fat .5 g 60 g or less (F), 70 g or less (M) Saturated Fat 0 g 20 g or less (F), 23 g or less (M) Cholesterol 0 mg 300 mg or less Sodium 126 mg 2,400 mg or less Carbohydrates 27 g 250 g or more Protein 4 g 55 g to 90 g Calcium 6 mg 1,000 mg
Notes: Chocolate lovers, rejoice! Here’s a no-fat cake you can truly enjoy. Best of all, you can slice and freeze it for future guilt-free indulgence!
Prep time: 25 minutes plus cooling Baking time: 40 to 45 minutes Moderate, low-fat, low-calorie, can be frozen up to 1, 3, 6, or 9 months.
Copyright © 1998, 1997 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Don’t forget to check out The Grocery Chart Challenge for more great recipes!